Tuesday, November 13, 2007

A True American

A TRUE AMERICAN
I recently got an email from a friend, a chain letter in the form of
‘You might be Redneck… if…’
It stated you might be a true American
If:
You think the Ten Commandments belong in the courthouse
And
Believe there should be a law against burning the flag.
There were other litmus tests I don’t remember
But;
First, let me say I believe I’m a true American
Born here, love it.
As much as I love this country’s beauty and abundance,
I love its constitution and bill of rights.
There is a reason for separation of church and state.
Would you want the book of Mormon Or Koran quoted?
Besides, what if we actually followed the Leviticus law?
Moses required death for breaking these laws,
Stoning to death!!
Is that what we want?
How about posting the golden rule instead?
All religions agree on this precept.
‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’
It is truly un-American to suggest a religious test for patriotism.
It scares me that I could be determined a ‘national security threat’
Because I don’t believe a whale swallowed Jonah.

And about burning the flag,
It burns me that people can’t seem to fathom what the flag stands for,
Freedom
Freedom of speech,
Freedom to express conscience,
Freedom to protest,
Freedom to burn a flag.
Freedom is virtue,
The flag is only a symbol.
I sometimes wonder if people can think in abstracts,
Or else they could understand that dissent is patriotic!
The people lending their opinions are what democracy is all about.
Reasoning people see the value of dispute.
Again, am I un-American
Because I understand that opportunity to speak your mind
Without fear or reprisal
Is more important than any icon.
Am I an enemy combatant
Because I burn a piece of cloth?

4 Comments:

At 7:51 AM, Blogger Wilhelmine Mitchell said...

A true American and a true Red-neck might be a good combination.

 
At 8:09 AM, Blogger Wilhelmine Mitchell said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 8:17 AM, Blogger Wilhelmine Mitchell said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 8:17 AM, Blogger Wilhelmine Mitchell said...

The probelm is there are too many people that can't think reasonably say pop.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home